I've always thought of it as
a feature of Arthur Koestler's somewhat poetic ontology of hierarchy.

Good to hear Koestler mentioned if not in entirely positive terms. I think he's a v. important if pre-computational thinker. Cross his theories of living creatures as Open Hierarchical Systems with some of Hawkins' ideas about the brain's perceptual hierarchies, and you have a v. useful structure for thinking both about living minds and AGI's - and indeed grounding. Similarly his ideas about creativity as bisocation of conflicting matrices of thought, fit well with Fauconnier's conceptual blending - and are also important for AGI.

The principles of Open Hierarchical Systems are v. conveniently set out in a few pages at the back of The Ghost in The Machine. I recommend them