On 10/19/07, J. Andrew Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2007, at 11:32 PM, John G. Rose wrote:
> > It's really hard to sell if the deliverable time frame exceeds 3 to
> > 4 years.
>

> Why does an AGI deliverable require more than 3-4 years?  You better
> have a good answer for that, or no one will fund you.  Most people
> *don't* have a good answer for that.

Well, when we plotted out everything that seems to need to be done
to turn the current NM design into a robust human-child-level AGI,
in M$ project, it came out to about 6.5 years for a team of 10-15
top AI engineers.

Of course for a smaller, simpler AGI design it could take substantially
less work... and of course such estimates have much potential for
error ...

But my point is: once you have a real AGI design, you can make real
time estimates, just like for any other software project (and there are of
course other software projects besides AGI that involve some R&D
aspects, so there is some experience to go on in making schedule
estimates for such things).

And as with any other project, the estimates
come out as they will based on the technical considerations, regardless
of how rapidly the funders or potential funders (or the visionaries who
conceived the original idea, for that matter) would like them to come out...

-- Ben G