Jiri Jelinek [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote,
> All,
> I don't want to trigger a long AGI definition talk, but can
> one or two of you briefly tell me what might be wrong with
> the definition I mentioned in the initial post: "General
> intelligence is the ability to gain knowledge in one context
> and correctly apply it in another."

I think it is an excellent definition for one mode of human intelligence,
but is incomplete to cover the whole range of human cognition.

Take a look at Bloom's Taxonomy of learning levels.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom%27s_Taxonomy>.  It gives six levels of
cognition.  Your definition seems to be a good description of level 3.  But
to achieve human-like intelligence, all six levels would have to be covered.
I believe it would take at least six definitions to cover the continuum of
activities involved in cognition.

--
Harvey Newstrom
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI NSA-IAM GSEC ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP