Benjamin Goertzel wrote:

Hi,
*** Maybe listing all the projects that have NOT achieved AGI might give us some
insight.
***

That information is available in numerous published histories, and is well known to all professional researchers in the field.
-- Ben
But very frequently it's difficult to find out any details of how the program was attempting to achieve it's goals. Sometimes the info is there, but difficult to access, and sometimes it's just missing.

E.G.: At one point I found Eurisko interesting, but I was never able to locate the source, or any detailed information on exactly what it was trying to do, and how it was trying to do it.

OTOH, I think that a database of working pieces would be more useful than a collection of things that didn't work. There's altogether too many ways to fail, and sometimes only one good way to succeed. Where would we be if we each had to separately invent alpha-beta pruning and minimax?

Published histories are like other histories. They cover what the author feels is important, and leave out the details necessary for one to make up ones own mind. (Yes, I understand lots of good reasons for why they do this...but it's still true that that's one of the things they do.)

What seems like a good idea to me is a sort of "Art of Computer Programming" wiki specialized towards AI (including AGI, but not so specialized that that's all it covers). Probably this should be done with Wikipedia as a model, and ideally each algorithm would be translated into several different languages (I mean LISP, Python, C++ rather than English, Russian, Japanese--though that, of course, would have it's own value). I don't think that we could use the same major breakdown, however. Almost everything would be both "Sorting and Searching" and "Seminumerical Algorithms".

OTOH, to make a go of this would require several people willing to dedicate a lot of time consistently over a long duration.