At 01:52 PM 11/10/2007, Edward W. Porter wrote:
I am an evangelist for the fact that the time for powerful AI could be here very rapidly if there were reasonable funding for the right people.  There is a small, but increasing number of people who pretty much understand how to build artificial brains as powerful as that of humans, not 100% but probably at least 90% at an architectual level.

Well we should all assign a chance to a recent dramatic breakthrough, but in the absence of compelling evidence that chance has to be pretty low.

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Research Associate, Future of Humanity Institute at Oxford University
Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323