John

*From:* Edward W. Porter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

John,

Robin's original post said

"I've been invited to write an article for an upcoming special issue of IEEE Spectrum on "Singularity", which in this context means rapid and large social change from human-level or higher artificial intelligence. "

I assume he is smart enought to know that superintelligent machines pose some threats and will have significant social consequences (that's why it is called the singularity). And certainly such threats have been discussed on this list many times before.

I personally think it is possible AGI could bring in a much better existence, but only if intelligence augmentation makes us more intelligent as nations and as a world, if it lets us stay competative with the machines we build, and if it causes us to build mainly only machines that have been designed to be campatible with, and hopefully care for, us..

Ed Poter