Benjamin Goertzel wrote:
> [...]
containing 10^5 neurons.  The figure I have commonly seen is 10^2 neurons
for a cortical column, although my understanding is that the actual number
could be either less or more.  I guess the 10^5 figure would relate to
so-called hypercolumns.

The term "cortical column" is vague

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortical_column

There are minicolumns (around 100 neurons each) and hypercolumns
(around 100 minicolumns each).  Both are called columns..

Ben,

It is true that there is enormous ambiguity and confusion about the definition.

However, a number of people believe that the best compromise values for column size and number are 10,000 neurons per column and 1 million columns.

I came to this conclusion after looking into it for my own purposes, then was gratified that Henry Markham quoted the same numbers:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2874207418572601262
Henry Markram, EPFL/BlueBrain: The Emergence of Intelligence in the
Neocortical Microcircuit.

Richard Loosemore