Matt,

> And some of the Blue Brain research suggests it is even worse.  A mouse
> cortical column of 10^5 neurons is about 10% connected,

What does mean 10% connected?
How many connections does average mouse neuron have?
10000?

> but the neurons are arranged such that connections can be formed
> between any pair of neurons.  Extending this idea to the human brain, with
> 10^6 columns of 10^5 neurons
> each, each column should be modeled as a 10^5 by 10^5 sparse matrix,

Only poor design would require "10^5 by 10^5 matrix" if every neuron
has to connect only to 10000 other neurons.

One pointer to 2^17 (131072) address space requires 17 bits.
10000 connections require 170000 bits.
If we want to put 4 bit weighting scale on every connection, then it
would be 85000 bytes.
85000 * 10000 neurons = 8.5 * 10^9 bytes = 8.5 GB (hard disks of that
size were available on PCs ~10 years ago).

But in fact mouse's brain does way more than AI has to do.
For example, mouse has strong image and sound recognition ability.
AGI doesn't require that.
Mouse has to manage its muscles in a very high pace.
AGI doesn't need that.
All these unnecessary features consume lion's share of mouse brain.
Mouse must function in way more stressful environment, than AGI must.
That again makes mouse brain bigger than AGI has to be.

> Perhaps there are ways to optimize neural networks by taking advantage of the
> reliability of digital hardware, but over the last few decades researchers
> have not found any.

Researchers have not found appropriate intelligent algorithms. That
doesn't mean that hardware is not sufficient.

> For narrow AI applications, we can usually find better algorithms than neural
> networks, for example, arithmetic, deductive logic, or playing chess.  But
> none of these other algorithms are so broadly applicable to so many different
> domains such as language, speech, vision, robotics, etc.

Do you imply that intelligent algorithm must be universal across
"language, speech, vision, robotics, etc"?
In humans it's just not the case.
Different algorithms are responsible for vision, speech, language,
body control etc.