On 19/02/2008, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If we need a KB orders of magnitude larger to make that approach work,
> doesn't that mean we should use another approach?

Yes.

> Like, er, embodied learning or NL information extraction / conversation ...
> which have the potential to allow rules to be learned implicitly from
> experience rather than explicitly via human hard-coding...

A compromise scenario might be to go back to the very early days of AI
and have the goal of an AGI learning to read books intended for young
children containing pictures and relatively simple sentences.  This
would involve a combination of both automatic knowledge extraction and
explicit teaching by a supervisor.  The key to success would be
establishing some system which allowed teacher and learner to interact
in a manner which facilitates efficient and flexible knowledge
transfer.