On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Ed Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  But that does stop people from modeling systems in a simplified manner by
>  acting as if these limitations were met.   Naïve Bayesian methods are
>  commonly used.  I have read multiple papers saying that in many cases it
>  proves surprisingly accurate (considering what a gross hack it is) and, of
>  course, it greatly simplifies computation.

Admittedly, I do not have a quantitative grasp of Bayesian methods
(naive or otherwise) but if I understand qualitatively it is about
attempting to reach a conclusion based on complete knowledge based on
a confidence of available knowledge to the unknown.  If I'm already
wrong, please school me.

While walking the dog tonight I was considering the application of
knowledge across different domains.  In this light, I considered the
unknown (or unknowable) part of the problem to be similar to some
amount of chaos in a system that displays a gross-level order.
Increasing the precision of the measurement of the ordered part can
increase the instability of the chaotic part.

Is it possible that a different kind of math is required to model the
chaotic part of a complex system like this?  Something as fundamental
as the discovery of irrational numbers perhaps?

This would have been yet another fleeting thought if I hadn't returned
to this thread about Bayesian (thinking?) and I was curious what
insight the list could offer...