> I'm not talking about inference control here -- I assume that inference
> control is done in a proper way, and there will still be a problem.  You
> seem to assume that all knowledge = what is explicitly stated in online
> texts.  So you deny that there is a large body of implicit knowledge other
> than inference control rules (which are few in comparison).
>
> I think that if your AGI doesn't have the implicit knowledge, it'd only be
> able to perform simple inferences about statistical events -- for example,
> calculating the probability of (lung cancer | smoking).

For instance, suppose you ask an AI if chocolate makes a person more
alert.

It might read one article saying that coffee makes people more alert,
and another article saying that chocolate contains theobromine, and another
article saying that theobromine is related to caffeine, and another article
saying that coffee contains caffeine ... and then put the pieces together to
answer YES

This kind of reasoning
may sound simple but getting it to work systematically on the large
scale based on text mining has not been done...

And it does seem w/in the grasp of current tech without any breakthroughs...

> The kind of reasoning I'm interested in is more sophisticated.  For example,
> I may ask the AGI to "open a file and print the 100th line" (in Java or C++,
> say).  The AGI should be able to use a loop to read and discard the first 99
> lines.  We need a step like:  "read 99 lines -> use a loop" but such a step
> must be based on even simpler *concepts* of repetition and using loops.
> What I'm saying is that your AGI does NOT have such rules and would be
> incapable of thinking about such things.

Being "incapable of thinking about such things" is way too strong a statement --
that has to do with the AI's learning/reasoning algorithms rather than about the
knowledge it has.

I think there would be a viable path to AGI via

1)
Filling a KB up w/ commensense knowledge via text mining and simple inference,
as I described above

2)
Building an NL conversation system utilizing the KB created in 1

3)
Teaching the AGI the "implicit knowledge" you suggest via conversing with it

As noted I prefer to introduce embodiment into the mix, though, for a variety
of reasons...

ben