Sorry, yes the "run" is ambiguous.

I mean that what the human mind does is *watch* continuous movies - but it then runs/creates its own extensive movies based on its experience in dreams - and, with some effort, replay movies in conscious imagination.

The point is: my impression is that in discussing this whole area, both in AI, philosophy & cog sci/psych, people tend to forget that consciousness is a continuously moving picture with the other senses continuous too, and tend to think, even if only implicitly, in terms of stills.

Mike Tintner wrote:
Er, just to clarify. You guys have, or know of, AI systems which run continuous movies of the world, analysing and responding to those movies with all the relevant senses, as discussed below, and then to the world beyond those movies, in real time (or any time, for that matter)?

I have no idea what you man by "run movies of the world" in this context.

You mean they have an internal world model?

Richard Loosemore

        Mike Tintner wrote:
         > You're crossing a road - you track both the oncoming car and
        your body
         > with all your senses at once - see a continuous moving image
        of the
         > car, hear the noise of the engine and tires, possibly smell
        it if
         > there's a smell of gasoline, have a kinaesthetic sense of
        your body in
> relation to the car, including a sense of up/down, left/right etc

        */Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:

        I have been working on getting exactly that sort of cognitive
        system
        since the mid 1980s.

        I don't know: perhaps you think it is especially difficult
        because you
        have not done much work on it.

        Conventional approaches to AI may well have trouble in this
        area, but
        since my approach has been directed at these kinds of issues
        since the
        very beginning, to me it looks relatively straightforward in
        principle.

        The real issues are elsewhere.

        Richard Loosemore

    I agree!  The significant obstacles are elsewhere.  The integration
    of ideas and the ability to index large volumes of information so
    that recognition systems can find them quickly are two problems that
    I see as particularly difficult.  Even if we were able to show how
    to get the job done for a special case it would not necessarily
    translate into a feasible and extensible general program.
    Jim Bromer

    Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.
    Try it now.

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

    2/27/2008 4:34 PM