I agree with your statement, "if someone does manage to produce a working
AGI it's probably game over for software engineering and software companies
as we know them today."    But another equally likely scenario is that
Microsoft will buy it - and not reverse engineer it.  Perhaps they can't
reverse engineer it. I can certainly see whatever group creates it, will
probably sell it to a company with great distribution power - like
Microsoft, and Google.  This is a strong case of maybe why these software
giants are not interested in creating AGI themselves - but they have feelers
out there, and are ready to snap it up.  It's definitely a race to achieve
it for many.  If I was lucky enough to be part of a group tat created it - I
would try to persuade the other members to sell out (for HUGE bucks) -
because companies like Microsoft have the distribution problem licked.  A 20
way multi-billion dollar split is not too shabby.

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Bob Mottram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A more likely scenario is that someone else creates an AGI and then
> Microsoft copies it some time later.  But seriously, if someone does manage
> to produce a working AGI it's probably game over for software engineering
> and software companies as we know them today.
>

> On 24/03/2008, Aki Iskandar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Ben - your email scared me.  I thought the evil empire (I can say that
> > since I worked for them for a few years) achieved *some* level of cognition
> > / AGI ... even the most rudimentary signs of intelligence / learned behavior
> > - prediction machine.
> >
> > Whew!  It's not that at all!  I know they are interested in expert
> > systems for the verticals (for new server product offerings), and in narrow
> > AI for their current offerings, but I don't have any confirmations on their
> > intent to create an AGI.  I would imagine it is one of their goals over at
> > MS Research - but maybe not.
> >
> > ~Aki
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >  http://www.codeplex.com/singularity

> > --
> > Aki R. Iskandar
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]