From: Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 8:07:26 AM
Subject: Re: [agi] Microsoft Launches Singularity

 DIV {
MARGIN:0px;}
Steve,

You raise huge issues. I broadly agree with the
direction you're going with your multilevelled approach to physically
implementing verbal commands. However, I'm quite sure there is still more than
you think - including a whole level of image schemas - useful here to think of
the analogy of geometry as a whole supportive level of science's upper level of
words and other symbols.

I seriously recommend, in fact insist that you have
got to get into Lakoff-Johnson,  and Rizzolatti-Gallese-Iacoboni & the
mirror neurons crowd. These guys are working together & doing some of the
hottest research at the mo. Try Chap 8 of Mark Johnson, The Meaning of the Body
- and more. Basically, experiments show the brain does start to instantiate and
process physical verbal commands and ideas on a pre-motor level all the
time  - and indeed has to, if you think about it. If someone says "come
with me to the supermarket", your brain has to process that on a motor level
for
you to immediately reply: "I can't, I've got a weak
ankle."

Actually, come to think of it, verbal porn is
probably a truly great area to explore in terms of multilevelled, and v.
physical processing here!

I haven't really thought about physical/robotic
instantiation of commands much, except that the starting point will normally be
that the body and its limbs typically offer something like a 180-360 degree
spectrum of freedom of movement on any given plane, and then I guess, as you
indicate, the brain-body will plump first for the easiest most direct line of
physical approach to a target, and then adjust accordingly to obstacles.
Clearly
it will have certain movement sets/skills - so even if you are trying to dance
around, say, freely, improvisationally, you tend to fall into certain familiar
kinds of moves and find it difficult to "branch out in new directions." - As
soon as one starts to think about these areas, it seems to me, the need for
what
I would call a loose "geoiconography" (as opposed to precise geometry/
geography) of thought - i.e. a system of mental image schemas - becomes
apparent.