On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Kingma, D.P. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Although I symphathize with some of Hawkin's general ideas about
> unsupervised learning, his current HTM framework is unimpressive in
> comparison with state-of-the-art techniques such as Hinton's RBM's, LeCun's
> convolutional nets and the promising low-entropy coding variants.
>
> But it should be quite clear that such methods could eventually be very
> handy for AGI. For example, many of you would agree that a reliable,
> computationally affordable solution to Vision is a crucial factor for AGI:
> much of the world's information, even on the internet, is encoded in
> audiovisual information. Extracting (sub)symbolic semantics from these
> sources would open a world of learning data to symbolic systems.
>
> An audiovisual perception layer generates semantic interpretation on the
> (sub)symbolic level. How could a symbolic engine ever reason about the real
> world without access to such information?
>
> Vision may be classified under "Narrow" AI, but I reckon that an AGI can
> never understand our physical world without a reliable perceptual system.
> Therefore, perception is essential for any AGI reasoning about physical
> entities!

At this point I think that although vision doesn't seem absolutely
necessary, it may as well be implemented, if it can run on the same
substrate as everything else (it probably can). It may prove to be a
good playground for prototyping. If it's implemented with moving fovea
(which is essentially what LeCun's hack is about) and relies on
selective attention (so that only gist of the scene is perceived, read
supported on higher levels), it shouldn't require insanely much
resources, compared to the rest of reasoning engine. Alas in this
picture I give up my previous assessment (of few months back) that
reasoning can be implemented efficiently, so that only few active
concepts need to figure into computation each tact. In my current
model all concepts compute all the time...

--
Vladimir Nesov
[EMAIL PROTECTED]