  From: Mike Tintner
  To: agi@v2.listbox.com
  Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 11:33 AM
  Subject: Re: [agi] Symbols

  I was not and am not arguing that anything is impossible. By definition - for
me - if the brain can do it, a computer or some kind of machine should be able
to do it eventually.

  But you have to start by recognizing what neither you nor anyone else is
doing - that an AGI must be able to see in wholes, because there is a simply
vast amount of information on that level, that is lost when you convert to
pieces - not to mention whole realms of intelligence and creativity which work
largely on that level.and are not even touched upon by AI/AGI currently.

  And then you surely have to continue by asking : how can a machine do that?
Does anyone have any technological ideas? And that is one thing I would like to
see discussed. Such discussions, regardless of results, would make people look
at things from new perspectives, which has to be useful.

  As for your general "been there, done that" response, that's frankly silly.
We have barely begun to understand, for example, how mirror neurons work - how
we process the images/shapes of other people engaged in actions, in order to
understand and mirror what they're doing. It is as Ramachandran points out a
whole new area of massive and central importance to intelligence (and AGI),
with many major unsolved problems, yet you are in effect claiming to know all
about it already.

  Rudolf Arnheim argued: "Visual thinking calls for the ability to see visual
shapes as images of the patterns of forces that
  underlie our existence-the functioning of minds, of bodies or machines, the
structure of societies or ideas." He was ahead of his time, because this
clearly relates in part to mirror neurons, and humans are clearly intuitively
skilled at inferring a vast amount of info purely from shapes and forms (none
of which AI or AGI have even dreamed about). I'm still trying to understand all
this, as was Arnheim. If you think you've cracked it all, I'd be delighted to
be enlightened.

  On a lesser point, vision isn't just saccade-ing. The retina does also
register whole images, even if in varying degrees of fidelity.

  And, certainly, the brain re-processes/ "fakes" (as you put it) those images
- but even then - as when it corrects all kinds of distortions that have been
imposed by scientists' experimental lenses, it clearly does so in terms of
wholes.

  It's interesting that all languages equate "understanding" to a v. high
degree with both "seeing" and "grasping" - and what you "grasp" are whole
objects.

  MW: You guys probably think this is all rather peripheral and unimportant -
they don't teach this in AI courses, so it can't be important.

    Please don't assume what I'm thinking.  Your points are very important.
Unfortunately, they are important in the Robert Fulghum sense.

    >> The problem is you don't have such a machine. A  computer certainly
doesn't process in the same way as the brain. It might conceivably be able to
but it doesn't right now.

    Right.  I don't have one right now -- but the potential is there
(eventually).  You were arguing that things were impossible.  I was arguing how
to make them possible -- not about whether they currently exist.

    >> Computers right now don't. They only get the jigsaw pieces.

    See above point.  That's why we're doing AGI.

    >> Obvious as it may sound, it will be one of the most valuable things you
will ever do.

    Been there, done that, Robert Fulghum.

    >> But if you can't see things whole, then you can't see or connect with
the real world.

    Disagree strenuously.  This is the fundamental core of our disagreement.

    >> And, in case you haven't noticed, no AGI  can connect with the real
world.

    1)  It's tough for non-existent things to do anything.
    2) An AGI will connect with the world -- just not necessarily in the way
that you expect.

    >> In fact, there is no such thing as an AGI at the moment.

    Duh.

    >> And there never will be if machines can't do what the brain does - which
is, first and last, and all the time, look at the world in images as wholes.

    Wrong, wrong, wrong.  At the lowest levels of hardware, current computers
see images far more as wholes than do humans (look up saccade).  The human
brain then integrates the pieces into a seamless whole and FAKES your conscious
mind into believing that the input came in that way.  Why can't you believe
that a computer can do the same thing?  Why can't one input device of an AGI
take a natural language description and convert it into a picture and send it
to the main AGI consciousness while telling that consciousness that the picture
is what it actually sees?