Charles D Hixson said:
But religious beliefs *ARE* intrinsically different from rational
beliefs. They aren't the only such belief, but they are among them.
Rational beliefs MUST be founded in other beliefs. Rationalism does not
provide a basis for generating beliefs ab initio, but only via reason,
which requires both axioms and rules of inference.
I think we are talking about two different levels of generalization.
(This issue of the level of generalization is a big deal to me and is
part of my theory of AGI and NLP.)  I meant that some aspects of faith
are reasonable and rational. Your comment is interesting.  I would
like to write more about this once I have a little more time.
Jim Bromer