On 17/04/2008, Nikolay Ognyanov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>  Impact of previous technology
> revolutions can be described in a very fundamental way as freeing
> (liberating?
> discharging?) people from engagement in hunting and similar, then
> agriculture
> and similar, then industry and similar. Well, industry in still in the
> working
> and AGI could help there too but the direction is clear. Services are next
> area
> of human social&economic activity to benefit and suffer at same scale as
> others
> did earlier from technology.

Yes this is exactly right.  In fact digital computers were originally
invented precisely to automate "white collar" office workers.  At present
although some aspects of industry are highly automated we're still in the
process of moving towards full industrial automation.  The next frontier
after that, as you say, is automating office and management work which is
most typically found in the service sectors of the economy.  To some small
degree this "white collar" work is already feeling the effects of
automation, via desktop computers, various productivity tools and of course
internet search engines, but there's much more automation to come in this
area.