William Pearson writes:> Consider an AI learning chess, it is told in plain
english that...

I think the points you are striving for (assuming I understand what you mean)
are very important and interesting.  Even the first simplest steps toward this
clear and (seemingly) simple task baffle me.  How does the concept of 'knight'
poof into existence during the conversation? How does a system learn how to
learn to play a game in the first place?  I like this task as a tool for
considering how a potential AGI approach is truly general -- by asking over and
over again "how and why could that happen" for any imagining of how each
sentence could be processed.

Now, Edward, I hope you are right about Novamente but I don't quite follow the
reasoning behind your confidence.  I'm imagining that in a previous life you'd
pointed me toward a drawing of a DaVinci flying machine, excitedly projecting
3-8 years until we'd be flying around.  Now DaVinci's a bright guy (smarter
than me) and it's a nice concept, and I can't prove it won't work -- I'd have
to invent a pretty effective aerodynamic science to do so.  I still might not
be convinced.  Absence of disproof is not necessarily strong evidence.

I'm looking forward to getting more info about Novamente soon and hopefully
understand the nuts and bolts of how it could do tasks like the ones William
wrote about.  I have some concerns about things like whether propagating truth
values around is really a very effective modeling substrate for the world of
objects and ideas we live in -- but since I don't understand Novamente well
enough, there's lititle I can say pro or con beyond those vague intuitions (and
the last thing I'd want to do is bug Ben with questions like "how would
Novamente do X?  How about Y?"  He has plenty of real work to do.)