On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 8:32 PM, Derek Zahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One more bit of ranting on this topic, to try to clarify the sort of thing
> I'm trying to understand.
>
>  Some dude is telling my AGI program:  "There's a piece called a 'knight'.
> It moves by going two squares in one direction and then one in a
> perpendicular direction.  And here's something neat:  Except for one other
> obscure case I'll tell you about later, it's the only piece that moves by
> jumping through the air instead of moving a square at a time on its
> journey."
>
>  When I try to think about how an intelligence works, I wonder about
> specific cases like these (and thanks to William Pearson for inventing this
> one) -- the genesis of the "knight" concept from this specific purely verbal
> exchange.  How could this work?  What is it about the specific word
> sequences and/or the conversational context that creates this new "thing" --
> the Knight?  It would have to be a hugely complicated language processing
> system... so where did that language processing system come from?  Did
> somebody hardcode a model of language and conversation and explicitly insert
> "generate concept here" actions?  That sounds like a big job.  If it was
> learned (much better), how was it learned?  What is the internal
> representation of the language processing model that leads to this
> particular concept formation, and how was it generated?  If I can see
> something specific like that in a system (say Novamente) I can start to
> really understand the theory of mind it expresses.

Generating "concepts" out of thin air is no big deal, if only a
resource-hungry process. You can create a dozen for each episode, for
example. A more challenging task is to arrange so that all these
concepts actually lead to correct decisions, influence other concepts
in a right way without destroying them. New concepts need to be
"friendly" to inference system before modification.

--
Vladimir Nesov
[EMAIL PROTECTED]