On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 8:52 PM, Steve Richfield
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 4/24/08, Vladimir Nesov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > A theory is strong not when data support it, or when it doesn't
> > support the wrong data, but when it can distinguish between the two.
> > God hypothesis is as useful as a coin flip in its power to detect the
> > facts. A weak theory, on the other hand, that says "zebra!" only in
> > 0.09% of cases when the track is zebra's, and in 0.08% of cases when
> > it's not zebra's, is much better.
>

> Hmm, if I remember my math from long ago...
> To distinguish between these two rates would take ~10^8 observations -
> probably more than anyone would get in a lifetime. Until then, you would go
> with the best explanation that is available, namely, that an unseen power
> (maybe God, or maybe just superstition in the mind of the zebras) is
> controlling this. In any case, the travels of zebras is almost certainly NOT
> random.

Yes, the Ways of Zebras do not transcend our ability to comprehend.
But what are those 10^8 observations supposed to distinguish between?

You can be quite certain in ability of this test without observing any
zebras. You just need indirect evidence. For example, such a test can
be obtained from a much better test that is right almost 100% by
adding just right amount of noise. This is however not the point...

--
Vladimir Nesov
[EMAIL PROTECTED]