On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 3:54 AM, Dr. Matthias Heger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   Ben Goertzel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote 26. April 2008 19:54
>

>  > Yes, truly general AI is only possible in the case of infinite
>  > processing power, which is
>  > likely not physically realizable.
>  > How much generality can be achieved with how much
>  > Processing power, is not yet known -- math hasn't advanced that far yet.
>

>  My point is not only that  'general intelligence without any limits' would
>  need infinite resources of time and memory.
>  This is trivial of course. What I wanted to say is that any intelligence has
>  to be narrow in a sense if it wants be powerful and useful. There must
>  always be strong assumptions of the world deep in any algorithm of useful
>  intelligence.

This is a consequence of the "No Free Lunch" theorem, essentially, isn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_free_lunch_in_search_and_optimization

With infinite resources you use exhaustive search (like AIXI or the
Godel Machine) ...
with finite resources you can't afford it, so you need to use (explicitly or
implicitly) search that is guided by some inductive biases.

See Eric Baum's book "What Is Thought?" for much discussion on genetically
encoded inductive bias and its role in AI.

-- Ben G