Guided trial and error, yes.  Random, wishful thinking trial and error, no.

Trial and error is best treated like scientific hypotheses and experiments. If you're rational about it, it is a stellar method. If you're just flailing about at random, well . . . .

----- Original Message ----- From: "Russell Wallace" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 1:42 PM
Subject: **SPAM** Re: [agi] Richard's four criteria and the Novamente Pet Brain

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 Again. AIEEEEeeee. No.  Engineers do not work just by intuition or
intuition by trial and error.  Please read your own link . . . .

I never said they worked by _just_ those things; but I suspect we may
simply have different definitions of the word "intuition", that it may
imply a greater degree of sloppiness/uncertainty to you than it does
to me. You'll agree, though, that trial and error was one of the
elements of the described process?