Mike,

On 5/14/08, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Steve,
>
> Like most people here I'm interested in general intelligence. You seem to
> be talking mainly about specific domain intelligence - medical diagnosis -
> not say, a computer or agent that will encompass many domains.

All domains that I have looked at, including electronics repair, mechanical
repair, politics, and personal relationships, all have essentially the SAME
structure - figure 6 shaped cause-and-effect chains. It is just the
domain-specific details that vary from one domain to the next.

I like the health domain. I don't use "medical" (referring to medicines,
which are seldom needed to cure illnesses) "diagnosis" (indicating a
decision as to the problem, when usually no such decision is needed to
effect a true cure) because it contains SO much misleading baggage. Also, an
AGI with only a 5% success rate is a SPECTACULAR success with an ability to
save millions of people worldwide. Further, doctors are **SO** universally
incompetent as repairmen despite their domain-specific knowledge of
operation, so that even crude programs can handily outperform them.

> My off-the-cuff thought here is that a central database, organised on some
> open source basis getting medical professionals continually to contribute
> and update, which would enable people to immediately get a run-down of the
> major possible causes (and indeed minor possible ones - anything that has
> been proposed) - for any given illness or  set of symptoms, would be a great
> thing - assuming somesuch doesn't already exist. That would leave the user
> to make his choices.

Those words could have come from my own fingers ~3 years ago. Since then I
have come to realize just how profoundly insecure these guys really are.
Several attempts to sell this into various settings have run into
insurmountable people-problems, though there has been no significant
technical problems.

> In the same way, it would be great to have a database that could
> immediately make long lists of suggestions for any given set of investment
> requirements. That too would clearly have to leave the user to choose.

This is a somewhat different challenge. Most investment contests include a
random selector, e.g. the blindfolded moderator throwing darts. Usually the
random selector wins these contests, cor complex reasons that are just now
being figured out. The same reasons that game theory solutions must end in a
weighted random selection also appear to govern investment decisions.

> I'm dubious about any program here making specific recommendations/
> diagnoses - because the medical field like every other professional field is
> rife with conflicting opinions about the great majority of areas/illnesses.

I think that the key is for such a program to present every view and let the
user bet their life as they choose. Until you have been there and had to
make a decision that would dramatically change your life no matter what the
result, to live or die based on a collection of uncertainties, it is really
hard to express just how this feels. Certainly, few people want a computer
to make this decision for them.

 There are just so many problematic areas. It's almost the equivalent of a
> program that would make political recommendations about how to run a
> country.

Could it do worse than Bush? Present world leaders clearly have no
understanding of reverse reductio ad absurdum, which as I see it is THE key
to solving the really nasty political problems, e.g. the Middle East. With
this understanding and a database of every political challenge in recorded
history, I believe that human leadership could be eclipsed by a rather
simple program, with the complexity in the data.

> I welcome your rare interest in discussing the end-problems of AGI, (as
> distinct from the engineering problems) in detail - but if it's to be AGI it
> has to be couched in general terms - you have to explain how your or any
> approach will apply across domains.  What are the common problem-solving
> concepts, say, that will enable a program or agent to think and learn about
> "symptoms" of "breakdown"/ "malfunction" or whatever in say, medicine/the
> human body, cars/mechanics, plumbing,  electrical systems, computer
> hardware,  nuclear power stations, "sick" plants etc. ?

The domain that is my 2nd most examined is electronic repair. There, the
root cause is often something like the engineer missing an important day of
classes or not reading the fine print in a component specification. This
often results in a component that must perform better than specified, and
which may be overloaded causing eventual failure. Rarely does the
replacement of a defective component constitute a "cure" when the source of
extraordinary stress remains.

Determining just what sorts of design errors to look for usually starts with
looking at past failures. Often a type of circuit board, of which there are
several in service, will have had only a few parts ever replaced. With luck
there will be repair records. Without such luck, I must spend hours
inspecting every such board under a powerful magnifier to identify every
part that has ever been replaced while in service. Then, I perform a design
review of the circuits containing replaced components to identify just what
sorts of design errors are being made.

Then, armed with knowledge of what was broken behind the eyeballs of the
designer, I can then proceed to finding what is wrong with the entire design
by looking for other circuits with the same design problems. From this I can
make out a list of likely failures, from which to choose to fix a dead board
once I have seen its symptoms.

OK, so how can Dr. Eliza do THIS? The list of types of common design errors
isn't all that long, e.g. poor ground routing, not enough bypass caps,
off-board MOS connections, different types of metal in sockets than on pins,
fanin/fanout exceeded, etc. Each of these can be evaluated based on the
answer to a simple question, e.g. "What sort of grounding is in use, e.g.
separate layer, grid, random, etc?" Obviously, "random" points the way to a
likely cause of problems. The questioning varies with the type of problem,
e.g. a solid failure suggests an overloaded component, and hence grounding
is probably not an issue, whereas an intermittent failure could easily
involve defective grounding. In short, different data in the same database
as is used to solve medical issues should work perfectly well for solving
those REALLY difficult electronic repair problems.

Note that I have had some experience repairing military aircraft simulators
where others have failed. Imagine a half-meter-square board with 300 chips,
of which 60 are custom programmed, and the wiring diagram is just a bunch of
boxes with meaningless 5-letter mnemonics on the interconnections. The
company that made them is out of business, there is no test setup, there is
no firmware, and there is no one to ask any questions of. Most of these
boards had intermittent problems that I had to find, and I could only
operate them in a simulator during short scheduled tests. Yes, it IS
possible to efficiently fix things like this, but only with a really sound
approach. I was fixing ~1/week.

An interesting observation regarding failures in people and in circuit
boards: Regardless of the number of similar failures, the total time to fix
all (or all but the nastiest one) is about the same regardless of the number
of failures. What you learn from one becomes a help in fixing the others,
e.g:
1.  People come with histories, past tests, theories from past doctors, etc.
Sometimes, one patient carries the key to fixing several others, sometimes
NOT including the person who brings the key.
2.  Circuit boards have had different past failures. Together they point the
way to the problems behind their designer's eyeballs.

The scariest thing is fixing just one person/board. While the total repair
time is about the same as for several similar failures, the uncertainty is
much higher when there is only one to fix. Also, you spend more time
diagnosing and less time fixing when there is only one.

Is the above discussion what you were looking for?

Steve Richfield