i have higher hopes for the project than richard, failing to see the
circular causality alluded to... first, human intellect is quickly
overwhelmed when trying to build logic structures with complex relationships
or even many simple relationships strung together (we max at four or five
recursions in our working memory e.g. unlike richard, we dont think that he
didnt tell them what they couldnt do without us)... so we outsource the task
to improved methods of abstraction/simplification, programming and more
common analogies... second,  its ALWAYS about the relationships between
objects/concepts, and finding all possibly useful arrangements does appear
to be a readily finite problem, one amenable to exhaustive search algorithms
it appears...

as a side note, does anyone else feel that intelligence and compression (or
less formally the ability to summarize) are identical?

and the last bit: isnt this guy already doing the things NIST proposes? its
just corporate IP and not too available? (not affiliated in any way):
http://www.knowledgefoundations.com/Papers.html

cheers,
tudor