ROFL!!

I'll bet you're usin' one of them new MULTI-SYLLABIC WORD GENERATORS with PREFIX STEMMING, ain't ya? Folks, this is what happens to a really brilliant mind attached to a body with WAY too much free time on its hands. I love it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bryan Bishop" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:52 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] U.S. Plan for 'Thinking Machines' Repository

On Thursday 29 May 2008, Richard Loosemore wrote:
Interesting, but I am araid that whenever I see someone report a
project to collect all the world's knowledge in a nice, centralized
format (Cyc, and Daughters-of-Cyc) I cannot help but think of one of
the early chapters in Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver, were Wilkins,
Leibnitz and others are trying to form a universal grammar in which
all the world's facts can be organized in such a way that a
(essentially) a thinking machine can be built.

I'm going to basically come out and assert that the missing piece to
those projects was *functionality*, i.e. in terms of automation and
computation. The idea of having it all in one format so that we know
what's there is great, but it has to be usable, and sorting through it
by hand is kinda pointless, so what are we going to *do* with the
repositories?

http://heybryan.org/exp.html is a solution to that. I wasn't aware that
the NIST had a project going for an open ontology repository, I need to
get in touch with them.

- Bryan