Matt makes some good points below.

Qualia are a key aspect of consciousness.  But consciousness probably comes
in many different forms and degrees.  It is not clear episodic memory is
essential to all consciousness, but it plays a large part in ours. I do
think consciousness require a state space with a temporal dimension.  It
would be very different than our own if it did not have a memory of temporal
patterns.

I CONCEIVE OF CONSCIOUSNESS AS THE SENSE OF AWARENESS OF SENSATIONS,
EMOTIONS, MEMORIES, AND THOUGHTS MY MIND EXPERIENCES --- and that other
humans also claim to experience.

I THINK CONSCIOUSNESS RESULTS FROM THE NATURE --- AND COMPLEXITY OF ---
COMPUTATION WITHIN THE HUMAN MIND --- THAT  IT IS NOT AN INCONSEQUENTIAL
SIDE EFFECT --- BUT RATHER A KEY FUNCTIONAL ATTRIBUTE OF COMPUTATION WITHIN
THE BRAIN.

I BELIEVE CONSCIOUSNESS RESULTS FROM A MENTAL ARCHITECTURE SOMETHING LIKE B.
J. BARRS' THEORY OF THE THEATER OF CONSCIOUSNESS.  The analogy to a theater
is only partial --- but valuable.

IT SUGGEST THE MIND IS LIKE A THEATER FULL OF AGENTS --- EACH WITH INTERNAL
STATE AND DESIGNED TO RESPOND TO CERTAIN PATTERNS RECEIVED BY IT IN CERTAIN
WAYS.  THE THEATER HAS A MECHANISM FOR SELECTING WHICH OF THEM GET TO
BROADCAST AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT BY SOMETHING ANALOGOUS TO SELECTIVE SPOT
LIGHTS --- OR SELECTIVE LINKS BETWEEN DIFFERENT COMBINATIONS OF MICROPHONES
AND SPEAKERS.  TO MAKE THE ANALOGY BETTER, THE AGENTS SHOULD ALSO BE
CONNECTED WITH SOMETHING LIKE INSTANT MESSAGING.

The analogy assumes human consciousness results from the behavior of a
theater of millions or billions of agents that transmit and respond to
broadcast patterns, including temporal patterns, spread through significant
portions of the brain.  The agents have state information that reflect not
only what is currently being broadcast to them, but also what has been
broadcast to them before, and more private communications they are
receiving, or have received, reflecting the state of directly connected
agents.

There is machinery --- such as the cortical - basil ganglia - thalamic
feedback loop --- for selecting which patterns get broadcast and when, based
on measures such as degree of match, importance, fit or importance within
context, or surprise.  Some of the patterns activated in response to
broadcasts can themselves be selected for successive conscious broadcast in
a stream of consciousness manner.  The broadcasts vary in the number of
elements they reach, but we humans are probably only directly "conscious of"
broadcasts that reach a relatively large number of other elements, either
directly or indirectly.  This broadcast normally result in mullti-hop
spreading activations.  The spreading activation and the activation of
responsive patterns are modulated by the context of co-occuring and prior
activation patterns --- and by attention allocating mechanisms.

CONSCIOUSNESS IS NOT JUST WHAT IS BROADCAST --- BUT ALSO THE TOTALITY OF
ACTIVATION IN RESPONSE TO IT --- as sensed by intuitive qualia-like and
emotional experiential responses --- and as sensed by individual
subconscious activations that pre-dispose the later conscious or
subconscious activation of related patterns or transmission.

OUR INTUITIVE EMOTIONAL RESPONSES ARE SOMEWHAT LIKE CROWD RESPONSES IN A
THEATER.  They tend to sum the emotional associations of many different
agents to what is being, and has been, broadcast into one composite
emotional sensation stream --- even though that composite can include
activations of differing emotion patterns, corresponding to the boos and
cheers of a crowd.

Listen to radio of a crowd during an exciting situation in an important
playoff, or world series, game. You will get a feeling for the sense of the
stadium's (a type of theater's) crowd as a dynamic, living, collective
spirit.  You can hear the difference between a pop ball and a ground drive
--- between a home run, a pop fowl, and a pop out --- and you can hear group
chants --- that often start in the unconscious of the crowd and then build
up so until they are heard in its consciousness --- or that are driven by
the stadiums organ.  You can hear all this from the crowd's collective
voice.   You can sense its collective mind.

The mind's theater is probably something like a caucus meeting, because
apparently it can be divided up into differing sub-theaters.  This is
indicated by the fact that synchronies --- which appear to be associated
with at least certain kinds of conscious experience --- can be dynamically
wired between different neural sub-populations in the mind depending on the
particular mental function being performed.  There is also evidence that
other types of broadcast spread selected information throughout much of the
cortex, such as by the waves of decreased inhibition that radiate out from
selected points to almost all of the thalamic reticular nucleus, which
controls inhibition from  most of the thalamus to the cortex.

Sensory inputs would be inputs into sub-populations of the theater, which
would process them through a succession of hierarchically and laterally
connected sub-populations by relatively local communication, and activations
in such populations would only enter consciousness if activations in
response to them within some one or more levels of these sub-populations
were selected for wider broadcast.

THE SENSE OF AWARENESS WE ASSOCIATE WITH CONSCIOUSNESS RESULTS FROM THE
HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF SYNAPSES THAT FIRE IN RESPONSE TO EACH OF THE
ROUGHLY 40 HERTZ GAMMA-WAVE ACTIVATION CYCLES OFTEN ASSOCIATED WITH
CONSCIOUS RELATED BROADCASTS --- FIRINGS THAT ACTIVATE MILLIONS OR BILLIONS
OF PATTERNS TO VARIOUS DEGREES.

THIS MEANS THE SYSTEM IS WATCHING --- I.E., RECURSIVELY RESPONDING TO ---
ITS OWN COMPUTATION, with an informational bandwidth equal to tens or
hundreds of thousands of simultaneous uncompressed HDTV channels ---
bandwidth dynamically generated in response to dynamically selected portions
of itself by dynamically select portions of the equivalent of roughly
hundreds of trillions of computations a second --- computations that respond
to massive, instantaneous broadcasts and collective summations --- while at
the same time responding to billions of instantaneous, individual, highly
non-linear distinctions.

THIS SELF-REFLECTIVE COMPUTATION --- THAT HAS BOTH MASSIVE UNITIES AND
DISTINCTIONS --- AND STORES A DYNAMIC HISTORY OF ACTIVATIONS --- REPLACES
THE HOMUNCULUS AS THE SOURCE OF OUR PERCEPTION OF A UNIFIED AWARENESS OF
MULTIPLE EXPERIENCES,

JUST AS THERE IS NO EVIDENCE PHYSICAL REALITY IS ANYTHING OTHER THAN
COMPUTATION --- SIMILARLY --- THERE IS NO EVIDENCE CONSCIOUSNESS IS ANYTHING
OTHER THAN COMPUTATION.

JUST AS THE NATURE OF PHYSICAL REALITY IS DETERMINED BY THE ARCHITECTURE OF
ITS COMPUTATION (THE LAWS OF PHYSICS) --- SIMILARLY --- THE NATURE OF
CONSCIOUSNESS IS DETERMINED BY THE ARCHITECTURE OF ITS COMPUTATION.

There is no reason to believe consciousness does not come in many different
forms and degrees.  We humans sense different degrees and types of
consciousness, depending on whether or not we are asleep, awake, dreaming,
meditating, concentrating, or how aroused we are, or what chemicals we may
have taken into our bodies.

There is no reason to believe that many lower animals --- such as primates,
pigs, dogs, perhaps birds, and perhaps even insects --- are without any form
and degree of consciousness.  In fact, it is arguable that consciousness as
we normally use the word to describe our own sense of self awareness is just
a special kind and degree of the computation of physical reality itself ---
and that all of reality is conscious to some degree.  The rate and
complexity of quantum mechanical and chemical computations of the atoms and
molecules within a lowly worm are probably many billions of times more
complex than the logical computer computations within the first human level
AGIs.

But presumably whatever "consciousness" pervades most of physical reality
--- including our lowly worm --- lacks many of attributes of human
consciousness that we value most --- which define the type of consciousness
we normally mean when we use the word.

I think within a few decades many AGI's will have computations with many of
the characteristics we humans attribute to our own consciousnesses --- and
that those characteristics will be very useful to those AGIs.

I DON'T KNOW IF CONSCIOUSNESS IS NECESSARY FOR HUMAN LEVEL AGI --- BUT I
THINK SOMETHING WITH MANY OF THE ATTRIBUTES OF HUMAN CONSCIOUSNESS IS
ESSENTIAL FOR ANY AGI TO HAVE AN ARCHITECTURE OF THOUGHT THAT FUNCTIONS LIKE
OUR OWN.

Ed Porter