One thing I don't get, YKY, is why you think you are going to take
textbook methods that have already been shown to fail, and somehow
make them work.  Can't you see that many others have tried to use
FOL and ILP already, and they've run into intractable combinatorial
explosion problems?

Some may argue that my approach isn't radical **enough** (and in spite
of my innate inclination toward radicalism, I'm trying hard in my AGI work
to be no more radical than is really needed, out of a desire to save time/
effort by reusing others' insights wherever  possible) ... but at least I'm
introducing a host of clearly novel technical ideas.

What you seem to be suggesting is just to implement material from
textbooks on a large knowledge base.

Why do you think you're gonna make it work?  Because you're gonna
build a bigger KB than Cyc has built w/ their 20 years of effort and
tens to hundreds of million of dollars of US gov't funding???

-- Ben G

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:46 PM, YKY (Yan King Yin)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Note that I did not pick FOL as my starting point because I wanted to
> go against you, or be a troublemaker.  I chose it because that's what
> the textbooks I read were using.  There is nothing personal here.
> It's just like Chinese being my first language because I was born in
> China.  I don't speak bad English just to sound different.
>
> I think the differences in our approaches are equally superficial.  I
> don't think there is a compelling reason why your formalism is
> superior (or inferior, for that matter).
>
> You have domain-specific heuristics;  I'm planning to have
> domain-specific heuristics too.
>
> The question really boils down to whether we should collaborate or
> not.  And if we want meaningful collaboration, everyone must exert a
> little effort to make it happen.  It cannot be one-way.
>
> YKY

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"If men cease to believe that they will one day become gods then they
will surely become worms."
-- Henry Miller