Hi Ben.
Thanks for suggesting that YKY collaborate with Texai because of our similar
approaches to knowledge representation.  I believe that Cyc's lack of AGI
progress is not due to their choice of FOL but rather that Cycorp emphasizes
the hand-crafting of commonsense knowledge about things while disfavoring skill
acquisition.

Texai will test the hypothesis that Cyc-style FOL (i.e. a RDF compatible
subset) can represent procedures sufficient to support a mechanism that learns
knowledge and skills, by being taught by mentors using natural language.  My
initial bootstrap subject domain choices are:

        * lexicon acquisition (e.g. mapping WordNet synsets to OpenCyc-style
terms)
        * grammar rule acquisition
        * Java program synthesis - to support skill acquisition and executionI
believe that the crisp (i.e. certain or very near certain) KR for these domains
will facilitate the use of FOL inference (e.g. subsumption) when I need it to
supplement the current Texai spreading activation techniques for word sense
disambiguation and relevance reasoning.

I expect that OpenCog will focus on domains that require probabilistic
reasoning, e.g. pattern recognition, which I am postponing until Texai is far
enough along that expert mentors can teach it the skills for probabilistic
reasoning.

-------------------

As we have discussed a while back on the OpenCog mail list, I would like to see
a RDF interface to some level of the OpenCog Atom Table.  I think that would
suit both YKY and myself.  Our discussion went so far as to consider ways to
assign URI's to appropriate atoms.

Cheers,
-Steve

Stephen L. Reed