Propositions are not the only things that can have truth values...

I don't have time to carry out a detailed mathematical discussion of
this right now...

We're about to (this week) finalize the PLN book draft ... I'll send
you a pre-publication PDF early next week and then you can read it and
we can argue this stuff after that ;-)

ben

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 1:01 AM, YKY (Yan King Yin)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ben,
>
> If we don't work out the correspondence (even approximately) between
> FOL and term logic, this conversation would not be very fruitful.  I
> don't even know what you're doing with PLN.  I suggest we try to work
> it out here step by step.  If your approach really makes sense to me,
> you will gain another helper =)   Also, this will be good for your
> project's documentation.
>
> I have some examples:
>
> Eng:  "Some philosophers are wise"
> TL:  +Philosopher+Wise
> FOL:  philosopher(X) -> wise(X)
>
> Eng:  "Romeo loves Juliet"
> TL:  +-Romeo* + (Loves +-Juliet*)
> FOL:  loves(romeo, juliet)
>
> Eng:  "Women often have long hair"
> TL:  ?
> FOL:  woman(X) -> long_hair(X)
>
> I know your term logic is slightly different from Fred Sommers'.  Can
> you fill in the TL parts and also attach indefinite probabilities?
>
> On 6/3/08, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> If you attach indefinite probabilities to FOL propositions, and create
>> indefinite probability formulas corresponding to standard FOL rules,
>> you will have a subset of PLN
>>
>> But you'll have a hard time applying Bayes rule to FOL propositions
>> without being willing to assign probabilities to terms ... and you'll
>> have a hard time applying it to FOL variable expressions without doing
>> something that equates to assigning probabilities to propositions w.
>> unbound variables ... and like I said, I haven't seen any other
>> adequate way of propagating pdf's through quantifiers than the one we
>> use in PLN, though Halpern's book describes a lot of inadequate ways
>> ;-)
>
> Re "assigning probabilties to terms..."
>
> "Term" in term logic is completely different from "term" in FOL.  I
> guess terms in term logic roughly correspond to predicates or
> propositions in FOL.  Terms in FOL seem to have no counterpart in term
> logic......
>
> Anyway there should be no confusion here.  Propositions are the ONLY
> things that can have truth values.  This applies to term logic as well
> (I just refreshed my memory of TL).  When truth values go from { 0, 1
> } to [ 0, 1 ], we get single-value probabilistic logic.  All this has
> a very solid and rigorous foundation, based on so-called model theory.
>
> YKY

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"If men cease to believe that they will one day become gods then they
will surely become worms."
-- Henry Miller