My comments on Richard's post of Friday, June 27, 2008 4:30 PM

>RICHARD LOOSEMORE========>
At a quick glance I would say you could do it cheaper by building it
yourself rather than buying Dell servers (cf MicroWulf project that was
discussed before: http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/211/33/).

ED PORTER========>
I was quoting a main stream price that would be relevant to software types
who don't want to go to the trouble of building and debugging their own
hardware, and wanted to buy from a company that could be trusted to stand
behind their hardware.  I was assuming most readers would understand cheaper
prices would be available.

>RICHARD LOOSEMORE========>
Secondly:  if what you need to get done is spreading activation (which
implies massive parallelism) you would probably be better off with a
Celoxica system than COTS servers:  celoxica.com.  Hugo de Garis has a
good deal of experience with using this hardware:  it is FPGA based, so
the potential parallelism is huge.

ED PORTER========>
I have considered the use of FPGAs for AI.  But FPGA's are not cheap.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I would assume the tools for programming, the
available software, and the available programming expertise for developing a
system with FPGAs is as not good or as common as for more traditional
hardware.

Again correct me if I am wrong, but I think at this stage, in which most AGI
software architectures are still a work in progress, there would be a
considerable advantage to working with a more traditional computing platform
that had more tools, and more flexibility.

But once our AGI architectures are better understood, it might well make
sense to move them to other types of hardware.  As I said, much more highly
concurrent hardware is expected to arrive in about five years.

>RICHARD LOOSEMORE========>
Third:  the problem, in any case, is not the hardware.  AI researchers
have saying "if only we had better hardware, we could really get these
algorithms to sing, and THEN we will have a real AI!" since the f***ing
1970s, at least.  There is nothing on this earth more stupid than
watching people repeat the same mistakes over and over again, for
decades in a row.

ED PORTER========>
I don't know about you, Richard, but from me "the f***ing 1970's" brings
back fond memories.

Richard, you should be intelligent enough to understand the fact people have
been making the statement the lack of sufficiently powerful hardware is a
major obstacle to developing human-like AGI for 30 some years does not, in
any way, disprove that statement --- since during those years, few if any AI
researchers have had access to anything close to the level of hardware
necessary.   To paraphrase your language --- there is "nothing on this earth
more stupid" than thinking it does.

I do not claim the software architecture for AGI has been totally solved.
But I believe that enough good AGI approaches exist (and I think Novamente
is one) that when powerful hardware available to more people we will be able
to relatively quickly get systems up and running that demonstrate the parts
of the problems we have solved.  And that will provide valuable insights and
test beds for solving the parts of the problem that we have not yet solved.

>RICHARD LOOSEMORE========>
Pardon my fury, but the problem is understanding HOW TO DO IT, and HOW
TO BUILD THE TOOLS TO DO IT, not having expensive hardware.  So long as
some people on this list repeat this mistake, this list will degenerate
even further into obsolescence.

ED PORTER========>
"Fury," Richard.  Isn't that a little extreme.

With regard to your statement "the problem is understanding HOW TO DO IT"
---
WE DO UNDERSTAND HOW TO DO IT --- NOT ALL OF IT --- AND NOT HOW TO MAKE IT
ALL WORK TOGETHER WELL AUTOMATICALLY --- BUT --- GIVEN THE TYPE OF HARDWARE
EXPECTED TO COST LESS THAN $3M IN 6 YEARS --- WE KNOW HOW TO BUILD MUCH OF
IT --- ENOUGH THAT WE COULD PROVIDE EXTREMELY VALUABLE COMPUTERS WITH OUR
CURRENT UNDERSTANDINGS.

If Ben could get the funding he wants for the roughly 20-some man years of
work he thinks is needed --- and if he had say the $850K system referred to
in my email below to work with.  I think he could demonstrate some very
impressive generalized learning, perceiving, problem solving, behavior
learning and adapting, NL, attention focusing, and inferencing capabilities
--- capabilities that would show how close we actually are to understanding
how to make human level AGIs.

Obviously that is my belief and there is no reason why you have to believe
it, but I believe it after a lot of deep thinking.  I can't think of any
aspect of human thought that a Novamente-like system could not solve.  When,
several months ago on this list I asked for what hard problems were left in
AGI, virtually none were mentioned that a Novamente-like architecture would
not seem capable of solving.

With regard to tools, one of the tools that would be helpful to developing
AGI would be tools for developing code on massively parallel systems
efficiently.

If anything, the problem right now is the confusion of possible approaches
to many of the problems.  More cheap hardware will allow more of them to be
tested of systems of the necessary complexity, and the better ones to become
more widely accepted

>RICHARD LOOSEMORE========>
Frankly, looking at recent posts, I think this list is already dead.

ED PORTER========>
Richard, if the list is so dead of late, how come you have posted to it so
often recently?

[...]

Richard Loosemore

Ed Porter wrote:
> WHAT SORT OF HARDWARE $33K AND $850K BUYS TODAY FOR USE IN AGI
>
> On Wednesday, June 25, US East Cost time, I had an interesting phone
> conversation with Dave Hart, where we discussed just how much hardware
could
> you get for the current buck, for the amounts of money AGI research teams
> using OpenCog (THE LUCKY ONES) might have available to them.
>
> After our talk I checked out the cost of current servers at Dell (the
> easiest place I knew of to check out prices.) I found hardware, and
> particularly memory was somewhat cheaper than Dave and I had thought.  But
> it is still sufficiently expensive, that moderately funded projects are
> going to be greatly limited by the processor-memory and inter-processor
> bandwidth as to how much spreading activation and inferencing they will be
> capable of doing.
>
> A RACK MOUNTABLE SERVER WITH 4 QUAD-CORE XEONS, WITH EACH PROCESSOR HAVING
> 8MB OF CACHE, AND THE WHOLE SERVER HAVING 128GBYTES OF RAM AND FOUR
300GBYTE
> HARD DRIVES WAS UNDER $30K.  The memory stayed roughly constant in price
per
> GByte going from 32 to 64 to 128 GBytes.  Of course you would probably
have
> to pay a several extra grand for software and warranties.  SO LET US SAY
THE
> PRICE IS $33K PER SERVER.
>
> A 24 port 20Gbit/sec infiniband switch with cables and one 20Gbit/sec
> adapter card for each of 24 servers would be about $52K
>
> SO A TOTAL SYSTEM WITH 24 SERVERS, 96 PROCESSORS, 384 CORES, 768MBYTE OF
L2
> [...]
> Without overleaving, one article I read recently implied about 50ns was a
> short latency for a memory access.  So we will assume 20M random RAM
access
> (randomRamOpps) per second per channel, and that an average activation
will
> take two, a read and write, so roughly 10M activations/sec per memory
> channel.
>
> Matt Mahoney has pointed out that spreading activation can be modeled by
> matrix methods that let you access RAM with much higher sequential memory
> accessing rates.  He claimed he could process about a gigabyte of matrix
> data a second.  If one assumes each element in the matrix is 8 bytes, that
> would be the equivalent of doing 125M activation a second, which is
roughly
> 12.5 times faster (if just 2 bytes, it would be 50 times fasters, or 500M
> activation/sec).
>
> If one assumes each of 4 core of each of 4 processors could handle a
matrix
> at 1GByte/sec, and each element in the matrix was just 2 bytes, that would
> be 8 G 2Byte matrix activations/sec/server, and 256G matrix
> activation/sec/system.  It is not clear how well this could be made to
work
> with the type of interconnectivity of an AGI.  It is clear their would be
> some penalty for sparseness, perhaps a large one.  If one used run-length
> encoding in matrix, which is read by rows, then a set of column whose
values
> could fit in cache could be loaded into cache, and the portions of all the
> rows relating to them could be read sequentially.  Once all the portions
of
> all the row relating to the sub-set of colums had been processed, then the
> process could be repeated for another set of columns whose values would be
> read into cache.   If this were done one should be able to get largely
> sequential high memory sequential access rates, but presumably this would
> substantially increase the number of bytes per contact required in the
> matrix rep. and would slow processing.
>
> But it is not clear how much the speed would be decreased as the
sparseness
> of the matrix increases.  It is also not clear how effective such method
> would be in the presence of inference control mechanisms which would
> presumably be filtering a high percent of messaging, and thus dynamically
> varying the sparseness and varying its pattern.
>
> Thus I think at least initially when we are exploring different types of
> activation spreading and inferencing patterns thinking in terms of such
> matrix systems would be highly constraining, and there should be a lot of
> attention paid to the limit on AGI computer power which is caused by the
> processor-memory, and inter-processor bandwidth limitations.
>
> I am assuming below our system has the type of quadcore Xeons that Dave
Hart