Ben Goertzel wrote:
The argument itself is extremely rigorous:  on all the occasions on which
someone has disputed the rigorousness of the argument, they have either
addressed some other issue entirely or they have just waved their hands
without showing any sign of understanding the argument, and then said "...
it's not rigorous!".  It is almost comical to go back over the various
bizarre directions, but they also get quite strenuous about it at the same
time.

Richard, if your argument is so rigorous, why don't you do this: present
a brief, mathematical formalization of your argument, defining all terms
precisely and carrying out all inference steps exactly, at the level
of a textbook
mathematical proof.

I'll be on vacation for the next 2 weeks w/limited and infrequent email access,
so I'll look out for this when I return.

If you present your argument this way, then you can rest assured I will
understand it, as I'm capable to understand math; then, our arguments can
be more neatly directed ... toward the appropriateness of your formal
definitions and assumptions...

Mathematics is about formal systems. The argument is not about formal systems, it is about real-world intelligent systems and their limitations, and about the very *question* of whether those intelligent systems are formal systems. It is about whether scientific methodology (which is just the exercise of a particular subset of this thing we call 'intelligence') is itself a formal system. To formulate the argument in mathematical terms would, therefore, be to prejudge the answer to the question we are addressing - nothing could more silly than to insist on a mathematical formulation of it.

Asking for a mathematical formulation of an argument that has nothing to do with formal systems is, therefore, a sign that you have no understanding of what the argument is actually about.

Now, if it were anyone else I would say that you really did not understand, and were just, well ignorant. But you actually do understand that point: when you made the above request I think your goal was to engage in a piece of pure sophistry. You cynically ask for something that you know has no relevance, and cannot be supplied, as an attempt at a put-down. Nice try, Ben.

Or, then again ..... perhaps I am wrong: maybe you really *cannot* understand anything except math? Perhaps you have no idea what the actual argument is, and that has been the problem all along? I notice that you avoided answering my request that you summarize your argument "against" the complex systems problem ... perhaps you are just confused about what the argument actually is, and have been confused right from the beginning?

Richard Loosemore