On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:34 PM, William Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm seeking to do something half way between what you suggest (from
> bacterial systems to human alife) and AI. I'd be curious to know
> whether you think it would suffer from the same problems.
>
> First are we agreed that the von Neumann model of computing has no
> hidden bias to its problem solving capabilities. It might be able to
> do some jobs more efficiently than other and need lots of memory to do
> others but it is not particularly suited to learning chess or running
> down a gazelle. Which means it can be reprogrammed to do either.
>
> However it has no guide to what it should be doing, so can become
> virus infested or subverted. It has a purpose but we can't explicitly
> define it. So let us try and put in the most minimal guide that we can
> so we don't give it a specific goal, just a tendency to favour certain
> activities or programs.

It is a wrong level of organization: computing hardware is the physics
of computation, it isn't meant to implement specific algorithms, so I
don't quite see what you are arguing.

> How to do this? Form and economy based on
> reinforcement signals, those that get more reinforcement signals can
> outbid the others for control of system resources.

Where do reinforcement signals come from? What does this specification
improve over natural evolution that needed billions of years to get
here (that is, why do you expect any results in the forseable future)?

> This is obviously reminiscent of tierra and a million and one other
> alife system. The difference being is that I want the whole system to
> exhibit intelligence. Any form of variation is allowed, from random to
> getting in programs from the outside. It should be able to change the
> whole from the OS level up based on the variation.

What is your meaning of `intelligence'? I now see it as merely the
efficiency of optimization process that drives the environment towards
higher utility, according to whatever criterion (reinforcement, in
your case). In this view, how does "I'll do the same, but with
intelligence" differ from "I'll do the same, but better"?

--
Vladimir Nesov
[EMAIL PROTECTED]