A tangential comment here. Looking at this and other related threads I can't help thinking: jeez, here are you guys still endlessly arguing about the simplest of syllogisms, seemingly unable to progress beyond them. (Don't you ever have that feeling?) My impression is that the fault lies with logic itself - as soon as you start to apply logic to the real world, even only tangentially with talk of "forward" and "backward" or "temporal" considerations, you fall into a quagmire of ambiguity, and no one is really sure what they are talking about. Even the simplest if p then q logical proposition is actually infinitely ambiguous. No? (Is there a Godel's Theorem of logic?)