Lukasz,

Your post below was great.

Your clippings from Google confirm much of the understanding that Abram
Demski was helping me reach yesterday.

In one of his posts Abram was discussing my prior statement that top-down
activation could be either forward or backward chaining.  He said "If the
network is passing down an expectation based on other data, informing the
lower network of what to expect, then this is forward chaining. But if the
signal is not an expectation, but more like a query "pay attention to data
that might conform/contradict this hypothesis, and notify me ASAP" then it
is backwards chaining. And it seems realistic that it can be both of these.

I am interpreting this quoted statement as implying the purpose of backward
chaining is to search for forward chaining paths that either confirm or
contradict a pattern of interest or that provide a path or plan to a desired
goal.  In this view the backward part of backward chaining provides no
changes in probability, only changes in attention, and it is only the
forward chaining that is found by such backward chaining that changes
probabilities.

Am I correct in this interpretation of what Abram said, and is that
interpretation included in what your Google clippings indicate is the
generally understood meaning of the term backward chaining.

Ed Porter

P.S. I would appreciate answers for Abram or any else on this list who
understands the question and has some knowledge on the subject.