2008/7/21 Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> This is a real patent, unfortunately...
> http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN%2F6587846
>
> But I think it will expire before anyone has the technology to implement it.
> :-)

The idea that you can patent an invention which doesn't exist seems
like an abuse of the system to me, but the US patent office is well
known as perhaps the most permissive in the world.  I think the
attitude they take is that you can pretty much patent anything, and
then whether the patent stands up or not just depends upon subsequent
legal squabbling.

Certainly this patent contains very high level ill-defined concepts,
long pondered by philosophers and esposed by poets.  What is grace,
free will, or evil?  Intuitively, most people believe that they know
what these concepts mean, but when you drill down it all begins to get
far murkier.

Whether there will be robots furnished with such cognitive glitterati
within the next 30 years remains to be seen.