I agree w/ Motters ... mirroring is an abstract dynamical process, not a
specific biological mechanism ... and is not even specifically tied to
embodiment, although the two do work naturally together...

I think that embodied (physically or virtually) AI's with in-built bias
toward mirroring are the best path toward AGI at present (given that we
embodied humans are building, testing and teaching the AGI's) ... but I
don't think slavish adherence to humanlike bodies or minds is important.
What is important is having a theoretical understanding that tells us which
aspects of human mind are more/less critical to "generally humanlike mind",
and which are more-so just human peculiarities...

ben

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Bob Mottram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 2008/8/8 Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Now my v. garbled understanding (& please comment) is that those Carnegie
> > Mellon starfish robots show that such an integrated whole self is both
> > possible - and perhaps vital - for robots too.
>

> Yes I agree with the idea of understanding others through mirroring
> and self modeling as in the starfish.  If the goal is to closely
> immitate human intelligence then clearly something like this will be
> necessary.
>
> I can also imagine other types of non human-like intelligence which
> also have sensors and actuators (in an abstract sense) and the
> capability of self modeling, but which are not physically emodied
> (perhaps they're purely internet based).  Such systems may not be able
> to understand the behavior of animals or people, but would be able to
> mirror other entities like themselves via the same underlying
> principles guiding physical mirroring.
>
> In a sense I do think that embodiment is essential, but that what
> qualifies as "embodied" could extend beyond the physical.

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome " - Dr Samuel Johnson