Examples of the kind of similarity I'm thinking of:

-- The analogy btw chess or go and military strategy

-- The analogy btw "roughhousing" and actual fighting

In logical terms, these are intensional rather than extensional similarities

ben

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

>  Ben:If an intelligent system has a goal G which is time-consuming or
> difficult to achieve ...
> it may then synthesize another goal G1 which is easier to achieve
> We then have the uncertain syllogism
>
> Achieving G implies reward
> G1 is similar to G
>
> Ben,
>
> The be-all and end-all here though, I presume is "similarity". Is it a
> logic-al concept?  Finding similarities - rough likenesses as opposed to
> rational, precise, logicomathematical commonalities - is actually, I would
> argue, a process of imagination and (though I can't find a ready term)
> physical/embodied improvisation. Hence rational, logical, computing
> approaches have failed to produce any new (in the normal sense of
> "surprising")  metaphors or analogies or be creative.
>
> Maybe you could give an example of what you mean by similarity

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome " - Dr Samuel Johnson