Here is an example I recall. A vine crosses your path and you think
there is a snake on your foot. Then you realize the nature of the vine
but the systemic effects of snake fear do not immediately subside. The
result is calming laughter. Perhaps, then, it's an evolved
compensation mechanism for biochemical states revealed intellectually
as inappropriate?

A deep subject!