Samantha, & Mike,

>> Would you also say that without a body, you couldn't understand
>> 3D space ?
>
> It depends on what is meant by, and the value of, "understand 3D space".
> If the intelligence needs to navigate or work with 3D space or even
> understand intelligence whose very concepts are filled with 3D metaphors,
> then I would think yes, that intelligence is going to need at least
> simulated detailed  experience of 3D space.

If you talk to a program about changing 3D scene and the program then
correctly answers questions about [basic] spatial relationships
between the objects then I would say it understands 3D. Of course the
program needs to work with a queriable 3D representation but it
doesn't need a "body". I mean it doesn't need to be a real-world
robot, it doesn't need to associate "self" with any particular 3D
object (real-world or simulated) and it doesn't need to be self-aware.
It just needs to be the 3D-scene-aware and the scene may contain just
a few basic 3D objects (e.g. the Shrdlu stuff).

Jiri