--- On Thu, 9/18/08, Trent Waddington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Matt Mahoney
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > So perhaps you could name some applications of AGI
> that don't fall into the categories of (1) doing work or
> (2) augmenting your brain?
>
> Perhaps you could list some uses of a computer that
> don't fall into
> the category of (1) computation (2) communication.  Do you
> see how
> pointless reasoning at this level of abstraction is?

No it is not. (and besides, there is (3) storage). We can usefully think of the
primary uses of computers going through different phases, e.g.

1950-1970 - computation (numerical calculation)
1970-1990 - storage (databases)
1990-2010 - communication (internet)
2010-2030 - profit-oriented AI (automating the economy)
2030-2050 - brain augmentation and uploading

> And to get back to the original topic of conversation,
> putting
> restrictions on the use of supposedly open source code, the
> effects of
> those restrictions can no more be predicted than the
> potential
> applications of the technology.  Which, I think, is a
> rational piler
> of the need for freedom.. you don't know better, so who
> are you to put
> these restrictions on others?

I don't advocate any such thing, even if it were practical.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]