PLN can do inference on crisp-truth-valued statements ... and on this
subset, it's equivalent to ordinary predicate logic ...

About resolution and inference: resolution is a single inference step.  To
make a theorem-prover, you must couple resolution with some search
strategy.  For a search strategy, Prolog uses backtracking, which is
extremely crude.  My beef is not with resolution but with backtracking.

Another comment: even if one's premises and conclusion are
crisp-truth-valued, it may still be worthwhile to deal with
uncertain-truth-valued statements in the course of doing inference.
Guesses, systematically managed, may help on the way from definite premises
to definite conclusions...

ben g

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 3:31 AM, YKY (Yan King Yin) <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 3:06 AM, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Prolog is not fast, it is painfully slow for complex inferences due to
> using
> > backtracking as a control mechanism
> >
> > The time-complexity issue that matters for inference engines is
> > inference-control ... i.e. dampening the combinatorial explosion (which
> > backtracking does not do)
> >
> > Time-complexity issues within a single inference step can always be
> handled
> > via mathematical or code optimization, whereas optimizing inference
> control
> > is a deep, deep AI problem...
> >
> > So, actually, the main criterion for the AGI-friendliness of an inference
> > scheme is whether it lends itself to flexible, adaptive control via
> >
> > -- taking long-term, cross-problem inference history into account
> >
> > -- learning appropriately from noninferential cognitive mechanisms (e.g.
> > attention allocation...)
>
> (I've been busy implementing my AGI in Lisp recently...)
>
> I think optimization of single inference steps and using global
> heuristics are both important.
>
> Prolog uses backtracking, but in my system I use all sorts of search
> strategies, not to mention abduction and induction.  Also, currently
> I'm using general resolution instead of SLD resolution, which is for
> Horn clauses only.  But one problem I face is that when I want to deal
> with equalities I have to use paramodulation (or some similar trick).
> This makes things more complex and as you know, I don't like it!
>
> I wonder if PLN has a binary-logic subset, or is every TV
> probabilistic by default?
>
> If you have a binary logic subset, then how does that subset differ
> from classical logic?
>
> People have said many times that resolution is inefficient, but I have
> never seen a theorem that says resolution is "slower" than other
> deduction methods such as natural deduction or tableaux.  All such
> talk is based on anecdotal impressions.  Also, I don't see why other
> deduction methods are that much different from resolution since their
> inference steps correspond to resolution steps very closely.  Also, if
> you can apply heuristics in other deduction methods you can do the
> same with resolution.  All in all, I see no reason why resolution is
> inferior.
>
> So I'm wondering if there are some novel way of doing binary that
> somehow makes inference faster than with classical logic.  And exactly
> what is the price to be paid?  What aspects of classical logic are
> lost?
>
> YKY

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome " - Dr Samuel Johnson