On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 7:48 PM, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> So can *you* understand credit default swaps?

Yes I can, having a PhD in math and having studied a moderate amount of
mathematical finance ...

But, in a couple decades an AGI will surely understand them (and more
complicated derivatives) way better than any human can

This is one very plausible route by which the first human-level AGIs will
achieve world power ... kicking human ass on the international financial
markets.  Something that can be done with nothing but a brain and a net
connection...

-- Ben G

> "Here's the scary part of today's testimony everyone seems to have missed:
> SEC chairman Chris Cox's statement that the Credit Default Swap (CDS) market
> is "completely unregulated." It's size? Somewhere in the $50 TRILLION
> range."

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome " - Dr Samuel Johnson