Ben Goertzel wrote on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:57 PM

Is the "other node assembly" B fixed?  So you're asking how many assemblies
of size S will have less than O nodes overlap with some specific node
assembly B with size S?

[Ed Porter]

Ben,

If I understand your above quoted question correctly, the answer is "no.".

I wanted to know, given N nodes, how many distinct node assemblies (each
made of a different subset of size S from the nodes N) could you have, such
that none of their populations would have more than O nodes overlapping with
the population of any other of such node assembly, so the cross talk between
activations in any one such group with any other such group could be
guaranteed to be below a give level.  This assumes that a given node can be
used as part of multiple different cell assemblies, as do most discussions
of cell assemblies.

The answer to this question would provide a rough indication of the
representational capacity of using node assemblies to represent concepts vs
using separate individual node, for a given number of nodes.  Some people
claim the number of cell assemblies that can be created with say a billion
nodes that can distinctly represent different concepts far exceeds the
number of nodes.  Clearly the number of possible subsets of say size 10K out
of 1G nodes is a combinatorial number much larger than the number of
particles in the observable universe, but I have never seen any showing of
how many such subsets can be created that would have a sufficiently low
degree of overlap with all other subsets as to support reliable
representation for separate individual concepts.

If the number such node subsets that can be created with sufficiently low
overlap with any other node to clearly and reliably represent individual
concepts is much, much larger than the number of nodes, it means cell
assemblies might be extremely valuable to creating powerful AGI's.  If not,
not.

Ed Porter