Matt,

>From a brief glace at your formula, it seems like it would be more likely to
apply to a system in which each node is in only one cell assembly.  This
makes the math much more simple, but it fails to take advantage of the main
advantages of cell assemblies, such as: possibly allowing many more concepts
to be represented with a given number of nodes while allow more redundancy
and, thus, reliability of representation when dealing with potentially
unreliable neurons, and allowing the degree of retention of memories to
gradually decline as the auto-associative weighting associated with the
participation of individual nodes with different assemblies change by
different amounts over time.

Also most of the neurobiological discussion I have read about cell
assemblies indicates that often an individual neuron can be in many
different cell assemblies as once.

Ed Porter

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Mahoney [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 8:07 PM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: Re: [agi] Who is smart enough to answer this question?

--- On Wed, 10/15/08, Ed Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Given N neural net nodes, what is the
> number A of unique node assemblies
> (i.e., separate subsets of N) of size
> S that can have less than O
> overlapping nodes, with the population
> of any other such node assembly
> similarly selected from the N nodes
> to have the same size S and less than
> the same O overlapping nodes with any
> other such node assembly.

A = (N-O)/(S-O).

You let O nodes overlap with every assembly. Then you divide up the
non-overlapping S-O nodes per assembly among the remaining N-O nodes.

But that really isn't a useful answer. If a cell assembly is a group of
neurons that tend to all fire at the same time, then a useful optimization
is to model the whole assembly as a single neuron.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]