Well, coding theory does let you derive upper bounds on the memory capacity
of Hopfield-net type memory  models...

But, the real issue for Hopfield nets is not theoretical memory capacity,
it's tractable incremental learning algorithms

Along those lines, this work is really nice...

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.33.817

I wonder how closely that method lets you achieve the theoretical upper
bound.  Unfortunately, current math seems inadequate to discover this, but
empirics could tell us.  If anyone wants to explore it, we have a Java
implementation of Storkey's palimpsest learning scheme for Hopfield nets,
specialized for simple experiments with character arrays.

-- Ben G

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:30 PM, Vladimir Nesov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 6:26 AM, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Oh, you're right...
> >
> > I was mentally translating his problem into one that made more sense to
> me
> > biologically, as I see no reason why one would assume all cell assemblies
> > have a fixed size ... but it makes slightly more sense to assume an upper
> > bound on their size...
> >

> Which is why I don't like this whole fuss about cell assemblies in the
> first place, and prefer free exploration of Hamming space. ;-)
>
> --
> Vladimir Nesov
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://causalityrelay.wordpress.com/

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome "  - Dr Samuel Johnson