Yah, although I wrote that article about the iCub, I'm not particularly
confident it's "The One" ... mostly I just wanted to call attention to the
concept of open-source robotics, and in a journalistic article one needs to
focus on *some* specific example...

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Bob Mottram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 2008/10/17 Bryan Bishop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Bob, it's already happening behind your back, and I'm not talking
> > about iCub. While platform standardization is important, there's other
> > things that you can do like write cross-platform compatible
> > applications and compilers, or working on rounding up all of the GPLed
> > source files that are scattered across the web for software that
> > people have released but nobody has ever really collected, and such.
>

> Cross platform code is not really a major issue.  The basic problem is
> that if I expend a lot of time and effort developing a super
> manipulation program for a robot arm can someone else then take that
> code and reuse it, without needing to make a prohibitive number of
> changes or necessarily understanding the algorithms in detail.  If the
> answer to this is "yes" then open source robotics is really possible.
>
> The history of robotics, certainly in the industrial realm, is one of
> multiple proprietary and mutually incompatible systems, with very
> little in the way of code reuse.  Imagine if every time you bought a
> new PC you had to manually write an operating system for it yourself
> before you could begin doing anything useful.  Something similar to
> this has been the situation with robotics for most of its (admittedly
> brief) history.
>
> I am optimistic that things will change though.  As always, the
> price/performance ratio resulting from Moore's law predicts that a
> real open source movement in robotics will become possible some time
> soon.  A few years ago it almost looked as if a company called "White
> Box" was about to produce a decent PC based robot for around $1000,
> but after delays and redesigns the eventual product turned out to be
> $5000-8000, effectively squashing the chance of it becoming a common
> platform.  Still, I think some company will eventually succeed in
> producing a mass market PC based robot.

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome "  - Dr Samuel Johnson