Ben,

The difference can I think be best illustrated with two hypothetical
AGIs. Both are supposed to be learning that "computers are
approximately Turing machines". The first, made by you, interprets
this constructively (let's say relative to PA). The second, made by
me, interprets this classically (so it will always take the strongest
set of axioms that it suspects to be consistent).

The first AGI will be checking to see how well the computer's halting
matches with the positive cases it can prove in PA, and the
non-halting with the negative cases it can prove in PA. It will be
ignoring the halting/nonhalting behavior when it can prove nothing.

The second AGI will be checking to see how well the computer's halting
matches with the positive cases it can prove in the axiom system of
its choice, and the non-halting with the negative cases it can prove
in PA, *plus* it will look to see if it is non-halting in the cases
where it can prove nothing (after significant effort).

Of course, both will conclude nearly the same thing: the computer is
similar to the formal entity within specific restrictions. The second
AGI will have slightly more data (extra axioms plus information in
cases when it can't prove anything), but it will be learning a
formally different statement too, so a direct comparison isn't quite
fair. Anyway, I think this clarifies the difference.

--Abram