On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:44 PM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My assumption is that the physics of the observable universe is computable
> (which is widely believed to be true).

To me, this is another topic where several different claims tangled together.

[A]. "Every law or model proposed in physics is computable and
therefore can be calculated by a Turing Machine."

This is what Zuse argued in his original paper, which started this
whole discussion.

Given my limited knowledge of physics, it sounds correct, and I have
no problem here.

[B]. "Because of A, all laws and models in physics can be calculated
by a Turing Machine."

This is Zuse's hypothesis. He didn't really argue for it, but
suggested it as a possibility. I think that this is theoretically
possible, but practically very unlikely to happen. Physics, like any
science, consists of incompatible theories each focusing on one aspect
of the world. A consistent "Theory of Physics" is very hard to get, if
not impossible.

I don't have a high expectation for B to be realized, though do accept
it as a meaningful and interesting possibility to consider, or even as
an ultimate goal of research for a physicist.

[C]. "Because of B, the universe can be simulated in Turing Machine".

This is where I start to feel uncomfortable. Even if someone has got a
theory can explains all observed physical phenomena, and formulated it
in a Turing machine, it is still only a description of the universe at
a certain level of description. To claim it describes "the universe",
rather than just "all observed physical phenomena", you need to assume
a strong version of Physicalism and Reductionism, so that all
phenomena can be reduced into physical phenomena with no information
loss.

To me, this claim is philosophically incorrect. There is no single
language or level of description that describes "the true world",
while all the other descriptions are just its approximation.

[D]. "Because of C, the universe is a Turing Machine".

To me, this is a confusion between an object and a
description/simulation of an object. Even if C is true, a simulated
universe is still not a universe itself, just as a simulated hurricane
in a computer is not a real hurricane itself, because it does not have
the defining property of "hurricane" in our world (which is different
from the simulated world in the computer).

Of course, some people will go to the extreme to say that I'm really
living in a simulated world, it is just that I haven't realize it yet.
This is a reasonable argument, but since I don't see what difference
it will make if I accept it, it won't be considered here.

In summary, what I cannot accept in AGI research is the assumption
that there is a real/true/object description of the universe, and all
theories or knowledge are partial approximation of it. Turing Machine
is just one form of this "objective truth". To me, though this opinion
is acceptable in many situations in everyday life, it will lead the
research of AGI to a wrong direction.

Pei