Hmmm...

I don't think your conceptualization of "rationality" is particularly
useful ...

I do think "formal reasoning" is a useful category to distinguish, but
this is much narrower than what you're somewhat arbitrarily lumping
into the category of "rationality"

I don't think it's sensible to say that language, logic and math are
somehow detached from imagination in the general sense, just because
they are not imagistic

I don't think there is anything special about vision, nor do I find
introspectively that all my thinking involves some sort of "internal
screen."  No.  Some of it does, some of it doesn't.

The whole idea of a "two cultures" divide between the rationalists and
the artists seems oddly obsolete, and not reflective of contemporary
culture in which these things are rather intermixed.

The distinction between

-- formal thought, using explicit formal rules to manipulate structures

-- simulative thought, which is based on internally manipulating and
generating models, scenarios, etc. designed to resemble things in the
physical world

is interesting and worthwhile, IMO.  It seems to me you talk too much
about visual images, when what you really should be talking about is
simulative thought more generally.

"Imagination" -- in the general sense of creating wild new ideas and
forms -- seems to me to involve both formal and simulative thought, in
many cases.

Certainly, there is a powerful formal aspect to visual arts (e.g. the
rules of perspective, the projective rules used in cubism, etc.), as
well as a powerful simulative aspect to many kinds of mathematical
creation.

I don't agree that I "know next to nothing about imaginative
intelligence."  Actually, I've generally been considered a rather
imaginative person throughout my life ... and I've read an awful lot
of the literature on the topic of imagination, both in psychology,
philosophy, literary and art criticism, and so forth.

Whether my AI designs are capable to lead to "artificial imagination"
is another question, but, your commentary certainly has not convinced
me otherwise ;-)

-- Ben G